Welcome to the Department of Ophthalmology at Birat Medical College teaching Hospital. As pioneers in eye care, we are committed to preserving and enhancing your vision through state-of-the-art treatments and compassionate care. Here’s what sets our department apart:
Our mission is to provide exceptional eye care services, promote eye health awareness, and contribute to advancements in ophthalmic research.
Excellence in Eye Care
Recognized for our commitment to excellence, we consistently strive to deliver the highest standard of eye care services to our community.
Equipped with the latest diagnostic and surgical technologies, we ensure precise diagnosis and optimal outcomes for our patients.
Prof. Dr. Badri Prasad Badhu
Head of Department Comprehensive Ophthalmologist MBBS, MD
Dr. Neha Chaudhary
Associate Professor MBBS, MD Fellowship in Paediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus-Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology (TIO)
Dr. Prerna Arjyal
Assistant Professor MBBS (USTC, Bangladesh), MD (IOM, TUTH, Kathmandu) Fellowship in Oculoplasty-Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology (TIO) Fellowship in Anterior Segment-Biratnagar Eye Hospital Observational Fellowship in Oculoplasty-Aintree University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Optm. Prabhat Deo
B.optm/ M.optm Senior Consultant Optometrist
What we treat?
At the Department of Ophthalmology, our expert team specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of a diverse range of eye conditions, ensuring comprehensive care for patients of all ages. We offer expertise in treating:
- Adult and Pediatric Cataract: Precise diagnosis and surgical interventions for cataracts in both adults and children.
- Glaucoma: Comprehensive management and treatment strategies for glaucoma to preserve optic nerve health.
- Squints (Strabismus): Evaluation and corrective interventions for eye misalignment in both children and adults.
- Refractive Errors: Personalized approaches to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism.
- Dry Eyes Diseases: Specialized care for patients dealing with dry eye syndrome.
- Ophthalmic Malignancies: Diagnosis and treatment of tumors affecting the eyes.
- Vitreoretinal Diseases: Management of conditions affecting the retina and vitreous humor.
- Eyelid Diseases: Treatment of eyelid disorders to enhance both functionality and aesthetics.
- Orbital Diseases: Diagnosis and management of conditions affecting the orbital region.
- Cornea and Ocular Surface Disorders: Expert care for various corneal and ocular surface abnormalities.
- Ocular and Orbital Traumas: Immediate and specialized care for eye and orbital injuries.
- Neuro-Ophthalmic Diseases: Diagnosis and management of conditions impacting the visual system related to neurological issues.
- Anophthalmic Socket: Rehabilitation and care for patients with absent or non-functional eyes.
- Thyroid Eye Disease and Oculoplastic Diseases: Specialized care for conditions related to the eyes and surrounding structures in thyroid disorders and other oculoplastic diseases.
Procedures we perform
A. REFRACTIVE PROCEDURES:
1. All Types of Refractions: Precise assessments to determine refractive errors and prescription needs.
2. Colour Vision Test: Evaluation of color perception for various eye conditions.
3. Orthoptic Test: Assessment of eye movements and coordina
B. DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES:
1. Intraocular Pressure Measurement: Crucial for assessing conditions. like glaucoma.
2. USG A and B Scan: Ultrasound scans to visualize eye structures for. diagnostic purposes.
3. OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography): Specialized imaging for detailed analysis of the retina and optic nerve, particularly useful for. glaucoma and retinal diseases.
4. Visual Field Test: Assessing the full scope of vision, especially. beneficial for glaucoma and neuro-ophthalmology diseases.
C. OPTICAL SERVICES:
1. Contact Lens Fitting: Expert fitting and guidance for contactlenses.
2. Glasses Prescription and Fittings: Offering a variety of lenses, including changeable, progressive, Crizal, Zeiss, bifocal, and polarized lenses.
D. THERAPEUTIC PROCEDURES:
1. Syringing and Probing: Intervention for Nasolacrimal Duct Obstructions. to restore proper drainage.
2. Corneal Scraping: Diagnostic procedure for corneal disorders, followed by microbiological analysis.
A. EMERGENCY SERVICES:
- 24-Hour Service for Open Globe Injuries: Immediate and around-the-clock care for critical eye injuries.
B. CATARACT SURGERY:
- Adult Cataract Surgery with Phacoemulsification Technique: State-of-the-art surgical approach for precise and minimally invasive cataract removal.
C. SPECIALIZED EYE SURGERIES:
- Pterygium Surgery: Surgical removal of pterygium, a growth on the eye’s surface.
- Squint Surgery: Corrective surgery for eye misalignment in both adults and children.
- Glaucoma Surgery: Various surgical interventions for managing glaucoma and preserving optic nerve health.
- Eyelid Malignancies Excision and Reconstructions: Surgical removal and reconstruction of eyelid malignancies with frozen sections for precise analysis.
- Orbital Tumors Surgery: Surgical procedures for the removal of tumors affecting the eye socket.
- Dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) and DCT Surgeries: Surgical interventions for tear duct obstructions.
- Ptosis Correction Surgery: Surgical correction of drooping eyelids.
- Anophthalmic Socket Reconstruction and Prosthesis: Surgical and prosthetic solutions for patients with absent or non-functional eyes.
- Blepharoplasty: Cosmetic surgery for eyelid rejuvenation.
- Amniotic Membrane Graft: Surgical procedure using amniotic membrane grafts for ocular surface disease treatment.
- Oculoplastic Surgeries: Comprehensive range of oculoplastic surgeries for both adults and children, performed under local as well as general anesthesia.
Discover specialized care tailored to meet your unique eye health needs at our comprehensive range of clinics:
a. Comprehensive Eye Examination Clinic: Comprehensive eye examinations for precise diagnostics and personalized treatment
b. Contact Lens Clinic: Expert fittings and consultations for contact lenses, ensuring optimal comfort and vision.
c. Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus Clinic: Specialized care for children, offering early detection and management of pediatric eye conditions.
d. Oculoplasty Clinic: A dedicated clinic for oculoplastic procedures, addressing cosmetic and functional concerns of the eyelids and surrounding structures.
e. Cornea Clinic: Specialized care for corneal disorders, offering advanced diagnostics and treatment plans.
f. Glaucoma Clinic: Comprehensive services for glaucoma diagnosis, management, and surgical interventions.
g. Vitreo-Retina and Uvetitis Clinic: Specialized clinic for the diagnosis and treatment of medical retina conditions, including diabetic retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration.
h. Neuro-Ophthalmology Clinic: Specialized care for conditions impacting the visual system related to neurological issues.
i. Community Eye Services: Outreach programs and community services to enhance eye health awareness and accessibility.